Users are the weakest link in security both in organisations and the home. Cybercrimes are on the rise and it is important to make sure you’re not a victim. Any data you hold is valuable and you’re a target for cyber criminals.
Some of the simple steps you can take to reduce risk of attack include:
- Regular software updates – Operating system and application updates and patches
- Using strong passwords
- Using different passwords for different accounts
- Regularly changing passwords
- Using reputable antivirus software – regularly updating it and running scans
- Making sure you have a firewall
- Making sure firewall hardware firmware is up to date
- Changing default login details
- Performing regular backups
- Regular restoration exercises to test the backups
- Visit only trusted sites – look out for https in the browser for sites like banks, online shopping, emails before entering card details or personal details etc.
- Not disclosing personal details to strangers on social networks.
- Avoid opening email attachments from unknown sources
- Do not share passwords via emails
For more information on how to stay secure at work and at home please email: email@example.com